1425 San Raymundo Road
This one-of-a-kind modern architectural masterpiece, designed by architect Andrew Young, is located in the heart of historic Hillsborough, California, on Home Place, a forested estate once owned by Jennie Crocker, granddaughter of the transcontinental railroad builder. Uniquely planned on multi-levels to take full advantage of the half-acre lot, this spacious 11-room, 6,280 square foot residence, built in 1990, offers five substantial bedroom suites, five full baths and two half-baths, all custom wainscoted.
Oriented toward the south, large picture windows provide year-round light while offering stunning vistas of the rustic canyon and contrasting landscapes.
Enter the house from the three-car garage or via a double-wide front door directly onto the entertainment level. Included are a spacious, majestic living room, stunning dining room and a large kitchen with granite counter tops and built-in fixtures, the quintessence of modernity. Two of six terraces are on this level.
The artful dining room, with raw-silk wall covering, on the north side of the structure creates an atmosphere simultaneously of elegance and intimacy. Guests look out on a low-maintenance fern grotto highlighted, spring through fall, by blooming camellias, hydrangeas and an occasional rose. A gentle flowing waterfall cascades through the rocks.
Two sets of stairs, in addition to an elevator, descend to the more private living areas. Especially stunning, the family room, is made exceptional by breathtaking Brazilian cherry wood and maple flooring. Exuding warmth and personality, this inviting chamber includes a wet bar along with a raised wood-burning fireplace, the perfect venue to read or simply for relaxed entertainment. Though modern and grand in appearance, residents are never far from the forest. Sliding doors open onto an inviting private terrace framed by planter wings overlooking the canyon.
Directly adjacent to the family room, with unique grasscloth cross-hatch weave wall covering and wainscoted oak paneling, is a space currently regarded as the game area with a hardwood oak floor, in addition to a closet and full bathroom.
A few more steps lead to carpeted bedrooms below.
Albeit comfortable, the commodious master suite is in fact nothing short of regal. Characteristic of the house, it includes its own secluded outdoor terrace. A fireplace adds to the romantic ambiance. The spacious fully carpeted bathing area is highlighted by a large walk-in shower and two-person whirlpool-tub. Adjacent is a huge walk-in closet.
Not far away, on the same level, are two additional bedroom suites and another two baths. Moreover there is a completely equipped laundry facility. Offset from the rest of the floor at the opposite end of the corridor, a few steps down, is a smaller bedroom suite and exercise area that some perceive for use as an office or even a staff area.
Below the bedroom level, in addition to ample work and storage space, is a temperature-controlled redwood wine cellar with a capacity for approximately 1,400 bottles.
Visitors are impressed by the residence’s numerous closets, cabinets and concealed shelving that the architect placed throughout. Many are cedar lined. There are King George brass fixtures in the bathrooms. Fully remodeled, the house is retrofitted, equipped with hidden solar panels and both central vacuuming and intercom systems. The spacious garage includes a Tesla charger. There is central heating (in two zones) and air conditioning.
This house is genuinely unique among Hillsborough residences. Within the existing envelope, there are an estimated 2,000 square feet of space for additional rooms and terraces.
With the relaxed atmosphere of the California forest, this extraordinary property is located within minutes of San Mateo, Burlingame and the San Francisco International Airport.
SUMMARY Of FEATURES
- 5 substantial bedroom suites; 5 full baths; 2 half baths
• 11 rooms; approximately 6,380 square feet
• Expansive living room
• Year constructed: 1990 – high ceilings and slate roof
• Gourmet kitchen with state-of-the-art electric built-ins
• Laundry room
• Numerous terraces on all levels; large picture windows with forest vistas
• All levels served by an elevator
• Master bedroom suite; walk-in closet; resort-style whirlpool jet bathtub
• Spacious 3-car garage with Tesla charger and new driveway
TOP LEVEL – AUTOMOBILE ENTRANCE
• Spacious 3-car garage equipped with Tesla charger.
- Access from garden area through double-wide front door
• High-ceilinged regal living room appropriate for entertaining includes fireplace
• Elegant tall windows looking out on forest views
- Stunning refectory for gatherings, large or small, looks onto tranquil lush fern grotto
- Large custom-made kitchen (with skylights) built-in appliances, granite counter tops, family breakfast nook; ample storage areas
• 2 half-bathroom
• Commodious family room, including a gas-starter fireplace and wet bar; large windows; terrace access
• Game room/media center for relaxed entertainment with hardwood oak ﬂoor; full-bath; large closet
- Master bedroom suite, customized walk-in closet; massive resort-style tub for relaxing spa experience; private terrace access; walk-in shower King George brass fixtures
• Hallway with extensive closet/storage space
• 3 additional bedroom suites with sliding glass access to private terraces
- 2 huge light-controlled alcove planters
• Bonus room suitable for exercise area/ gym equipment
• One bedroom with closet and full bath; access to private terrace
• Temperature-controlled wine cellar; approximate capacity 1,400 bottles
• Massive amounts of clean, dry storage space
• Between 1,500 and 2,000 square feet – yet to be developed